The Mojito, a traditional Cuban mixed drink consists of five standard ingredients, but hey, there is nothing wrong with a little variation. From the English Mojito to the Sojito [Korean flare], this popular cocktail continues to undergo many iterations in an effort to create the perfect drink for the perfect moment. Here is our take on a local cocktail – the African Mojito.
50 ml. Vodka
7-8 red grapes
2 spoons of brown sugar
4-6 Fresh Mint leaves
Quarter of a cup of Sprite or 7Up
Half a cup of Van Der Hum Apple Liqueur
1 Lime Wedge
How to prepare
- Place the mint leaves and red grapes into a tall glass.
- Using a muddler or a mortar, crush the mint and grapes to extract the flavor.
- Add the brown sugar and continue to muddle, but do not strain the mixture.
- Fill up the glass with crushed ice.
- Pour a mixture of the Sprite or 7Up, along with the Vodka over the ice.
- Stir, taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Top it off with some Van Der Hum Apple Liqueur
- Garnish with a lime wedge and serve
This drink is perfect for a fun evening with friends. Of course, you may choose to prepare this as a non-alcoholic drink by leaving out the vodka.